Valrhona C³ Pastry Competition -
International Final at ICC
October 23-24, 2016
Since 2008, Valrhona has organized the Chocolate Chef Competition (aka C³) to celebrate professional Pastry Chefs and honor the elaborate nature of the trade in all of its technical and creative aspects, with particular reference to chocolate.
By gathering a community of Pastry Chefs, who are driven by a desire to showcase the quality and creativity of their work, Valrhona highlights the profession and gives attendees the opportunity to discuss trends, salient events, techniques and market developments.
In our second partnership with StarChefs, Valrhona announces an elite roster of pastry chef competitors, who will gather in New York this fall for the international Valrhona C³. In 2015, Nicolas Blouin of Rosewood Mansion in Dallas took home the grand prize at C³. At this year’s competition, hosted by StarChefs at the11th Annual International Chefs Congress, Blouin will represent North America as he challenges pastry chefs from across the globe.
- Nicolas Blouin | Rosewood Mansion | Dallas, USA
- Fredrik Borgskog | Upper House/Gothia Towers | Gothenburg, SWEDEN
- Nicola Dobnik | Del Cambio | Turin, ITALY
- Andrea Dopico | Moments | Barcelona, SPAIN
- Fabrizio Fiorani | BVLGARI Hotels & Resorts | Tokyo, JAPAN
- Damien Gendron | Grand Hotel | Cap Ferrat, FRANCE
- Benjamin Kunert | Atlantis by Giardino | Zürich, SWITZERLAND
Chef Nicolas Blouin, winner of the 2015 North America C³ Competition and his creations:
- Plated Dessert: Brownie, Raspberry compote, ILLANKA cream, Jasmine raspberry sorbet and Jasmine ILLANKA foam
- Chocolate Bonbon: Mandarin jelly, Black tea ganache and Sesame tuile
After training for months in their home countries, each candidate will bring their talents to the United States, presenting an original plated dessert and petit four based on the theme “GUANAJA 70%". One of Valrhona’s most iconic chocolates, GUANAJA 70% celebrates its 30th anniversary this year. The winning pastry chef will be determined by a cadre of world-class chefs—including Antonio Bachour (USA), Enrico Cerea (Italy), Francois Payard (USA), Jean-François Piège, (France), Johnny Iuzzini (USA), Sébastien Serveau (France), Olivier Fernandez Obiols (Spain) and Stephane Chéramy (USA)—and will receive an exclusive Valrhona trophy and €5,000. The competition will be emceed by Zac Young (David Burke Group).
Monday, October 24 - Competition: 9am-1pm // Ceremony: 5pm